Mister Berns

My Thoughts...Straight Out of the Box!

31 March 2007

When is stealing not stealing?? What's a few nuts??

So I'm at Safeway today doing some shopping, I'm in the fruit section at the place where you self-serve the cashews, pistachios and macadamia nuts. I'm putting some pistachios in a plastic bag when some chap comes along, politley says 'excuse me' and promptly reaches his hand into the cashews box, grabs a handful and happily goes continues his shopping while munching on the nuts.

What the?!?!

Why is it that people think they have some sort of right to taste test food at the supermarket? I mean this guy wasn't even buying any nuts, he was just helping himself to a free sample. Does anyone connect this to stealing or is it just accepted as a norm of the shopping environment? I was so shocked by Mr Cashews casual and almost normal eating of the nuts that by the time I worked out what I wanted to say he had wandered on.

Usually when I see people happily chomping on grape after grape I glare at them with my 'who do you think you are look' but they look back at me with their 'yeah these grapes are good aren't they' look. I mean is there really a need to taste test the fruit, a grape usually tastes like...a grape!! Maybe if you are buying a whole bunch it would be ok to test one grape but the fruit and vege section is not meant to be some sort of entree department.

Surely safeway doesn't need to put out signs saying 'eating produce prior to purchase is stealing'. Am I just being extreme or is this just another sign of a falling morality in society?