Mister Berns

My Thoughts...Straight Out of the Box!

06 February 2007

I am no robot...I choose to love

I was working in the shop on Sunday and got chatting with this nice old lady about this, that and the other. I was telling her how it was always encouraging to meet someone who had persevered in the faith so long and I jokingly said to her "you'll only spend a quick time in purgatory!" and then this dear lady proceeded to confidently tell me that the Church no longer believed in hell and punishment, as a God of love would never be so cruel to punish his creatures. (BTW Purgatory is a place of final purification for those souls who need it before reaching heaven). Here we go I thought, rolling the eyes inside my mind but then took it as a great opportunity to briefy re-introduce her to the truth. It was a great little conversation and I look forward to seeing her next Sunday.

Why is it that people think hell is not real, do they take their ideas through to completion? God is a God of love and he wants all people to choose to love him and thus be with him forever in heaven but he isn't going to force us to love him. The greatest gift we have been given is free will, we choose every day if we will live for Him or not for Him. If I spend my whole life purposely saying 'no' to God why should I expect that when I die God will force me against my will to be with him in heaven? He does not force us now and he will not force us then.

If I loved someone and they did not love me in return, I could take a a gun and force them to tell me that they love me. This may well make them say it but am I really loving them by forcing that act of affection? Of course not. Love is only a choice that can be made in freedom and the existence of hell (the place of suffering where God is not) proves that God is a God of love, just as he is a God of justice. God sends no one to hell, people choose to send themselves there, God is not to blame for that. We are not robots and we have the great gift of choosing when and who we will love.